One of the big storylines revolving around the OnePlus 6T has been the T-Mobile partnership. This is a big deal in the US where a lot of people buy their devices from carriers. The OnePlus 6T has had much better sales than previous devices because of this, but it’s not all good. The T-Mobile model has lagged behind with updates, but there are methods for converting to the international (i.e. non-T-Mobile) version.
The only problem with previous methods of converting the T-Mobile OnePlus 6T to an international ROM is you needed an unlocked bootloader, which requires SIM unlock, which is something T-Mobile has been known to be a pain about. If you used that method, it meant no HD DRM-protected videos from streaming services such as Netflix and Hulu, among other things.
Thankfully, XDA Junior Member AnonymousTipster, along with Dark Nightmare and iaTa‘s efforts, has shared a method for converting the T-Mobile OnePlus 6T to international without an unlocked bootloader/SIM unlock. You will be running the same software as the unlocked OnePlus 6T and you can even join the OxygenOS Open Beta program. The steps are outlined below.
Note: This process will wipe your phone. Please backup all of your important files from the phone before proceeding.
- Download 6T MsmDownloadTool v4.0.58 (OOS v9.0.11) provided by iaTa
- Download patched flasher tools here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1dY…EBOjau1BRvtnJQ (the patches simply remove checks that allow all the images to be flashed on the phone, I’ve personally tested the “MsmDownloadTool V4.0_factory_patched.exe” but not the “MsmDownloadTool V4.0_factory_mcl_op1_patched.exe” variant. You can do a binary diff on the EXEs against the originals in case there’s any issues with trust.
- Shut down your T-Mobile 6T completely
- Press and hold Volume Up and Volume down keys simultaneously
- With those two buttons held down, plug in your USB cord to your PC
- Ensure that the USB drivers for Qcom download mode are installed and working (available in the MSMDownloadTool thread)
- Extract the patched tools EXEs to the same directory as where you extracted the MSMDownloadTool
- Run “MsmDownloadTool V4.0_factory_patched.exe” (or the other one, if you’re feeling adventurous)
- Click “Start” when you’re ready to start patching the phone
- After about 5 minutes it will finish its job and reboot the phone
- Phone will boot normally, but no more T-Mobile logo, and instead there is the OxygenOS generic logo
- That’s it!